Thursday 28 August 2014

What is happening to America?

When I grew up in 1950s / 1960s Britain, feelings of goodwill and gratitude towards the U.S. for the role it played in the second World War were strong, and I retained them into my 40s and even my early 50s — though there was no denying that Dubya's foreign policy, especially in Iraq (or should I say, especially towards Saddam, since it was clearly a personal thing) was deeply flawed.

Looking back, Bush senior seems to have been the last president that I could have much respect for, and the progression Clinton, Dubya, Obama has marked a clear decline not only in competency but also in morality, and not only abroad but also at home. The country is well on the way to being a police state, and its foreign policy is now the Gold Standard for wilful stupidity and wretched incoherence globally.

Not content to have created ISIS by its policy of arming the Syrian rebels, thereby causing the utmost misery in both Syria and Iraq (and soon, Europe and the U.S. itself, as the chickens come home to roost), America now seems to be embarking on a plan that I can only call evil. It will bomb ISIS inside Syria, to deny it any place of safe refuge, but it will also bomb and destroy targets and installations of the Assad regime, to maintain balance. That is, it won't allow Assad to profit from America's destruction of ISIS assets. Seemingly lost amongst all this is that the U.S. will be violently terminating human lives, in their dozens and hundreds if not thousands, belonging to members of the Syrian armed forces (I don't care about the ISIS abominations) for symmetry. This is inhuman. The U.S. has become a plague among nations, a rabid dog. I never thought I would see the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment