Sunday 27 November 2011

An unsettling day

First the dustbins went missing, now they are back, all without any explanation.

Thursday night I had remembered to put out the main bin and the recycling bin, just as well as I'd forgotten the recycling bin two weeks previously (it's on a two week cycle) and it was full. Friday I forgot to bring them in, so this morning (Saturday) I went out to get them and they were gone.

As soon as I got back in the house I fired off an email to the local council, asking if they'd taken them away for any reason, and asking what I should do if they'd been stolen. I saw mention of a £35 charge for lost or missing bins, presumably per bin, so that didn't put me in a very good mood.

Then just now, about 00:40 Sunday morning, I heard the rumbling noise of bin wheels in my drive. I rushed to the door, put the hall light and the outside light on, and unlocked the door. Two locks, the second one a little difficult to get the key in properly, it must have taken me about 30 seconds to get out the door. Predictably, by the time I got out the bins were back in their accustomed places, and there was no one to be seen. I even went to the end of the drive and looked up and down the avenue: nothing, no one, just the wind in the trees and the yellow sodium lights; it was like some mid-western ghost town so I hurried back in.

Worse, I'd been watching a rather creepy horror story on TV, so I had to check every room in the house before I could settle down. I texted one of my friends, and he said I should look in the bins for evidence: what if they'd been used to transport a body or something? Thank you George, that's just what I need right now! Still, I'll be out there in the morning, looking; as of tonight though, I'm not going out there again for love nor money.

No comments:

Post a Comment